Most of the people just spend the majority of their lives always with the same group of individuals. This can be their friends, their girlfriend/boyfriend, their family, colleagues etc.
There is nothing bad with this, as they are the persons that make our lives happier, more solid, and more worthy to be lived.
Anyway there is one aspect of your social life that should not be neglected.
It is the nature of the human being to be social.
As Aristotle said, “we are social animals“ and as such we should not forget that we are into this planet also to socialize.
Socializing, according to many studies, has been proven to be one of the most antidepressant ever and one of the best natural medicine that gives human beings a kinda free high aftermath.
The effect that you get when you enter into contact with someone new is almost the same that you try when on drugs. Many hormones such as oxytocin are released during socialization and these hormones are directly responsible for our well-being. For example oxytocin decreases anxiety levels and stimulates our parasympathetic nervous system to give calm down responses.
Apart from the chemical reactions in your body, that there are numerous other benefits that stem from socializing:
1) You will enlarge your social circle and this means that you will have more people supporting you in your life.
This means that in difficult periods of your life you will actually feel more stable just with the presence of more people around you.
2) You will become more influential in this world but only if you connect with these people genuinely for what they can offer you and not just add them on Facebook.
Connecting is good but connecting well is better. For our nature we are prone to connect more to some people than others, like people that reflect better our personality. This does not mean, anyway, that we should put barriers to people different from us. Let’s just enjoy their positive sides to the extent that we can enjoy it.
3) You will have higher survival chances because human beings are stronger when are in a group. This is also one of the reasons why we feel good when socializing, it is a way of our body that tells us that it did the right job.
4) You will become smarter because new experiences from others will be told you.
Everyone of us has had its own life and experiences and so everyone is competent in a way or another in something specific. Everyone is unique and we can learn from the uniqueness of others.
5) You will have higher chances to find the right partner either in business or in life with you.
You can find your girlfriend/boyfriend or your next best friend or your next business partner.
That’s what happened with me and a friend of mine for example. We met 5 years back because of a mutual friend that we had and now we are not only business partner but best friends and this is priceless.
It is incredible then, how socializing can make you not only a more successful individual but also a happier one.
I can tell you that because l tried both being a complete isolated person and to be a very social one.
I spent a long period of my life (almost 3 years) without socializing. Basically l stayed in my house playing video games and that was it. Instead of getting my “drug dosage” from socializing, l was having it from video games. Same neuro-response but different levels of happiness and overall results.
My life was basically s**t at that time, and to get out from there I had to rehabilitate myself socially because l even forgot how to socialize.
I derived my conclusion from this life changing pattern. I think you also had periods of your life where you’ve more or less social and so more or less happy, satisfied, connected etc. So thinking back about your past can make you derive your conclusions as well.
Now The Exercise
For the practicality of this post l would like to suggest you one exercise that you can do to enlarge your social circle.
Know one person every day.
- Could be a man or a woman, a young one or old one. The important thing is that you know someone new and try to connect with him/her. It will be like getting high, especially when you know someone of your opposite sex (or same, depending on your tastes).
- Next time that you are waiting for the bus, metro, tram look around and see if there is a particular person that you would like to know. It is important to follow your gut here since it feels who can be the right partner for you.
When you have some free time hang out with some friends and wherever you go start talking with people next to you. You can speak about what’s going on or ask them something but the purpose is that you start speaking to them. You will be surprised by how many people will respond to you in a positive way and how quickly you can make new friends.
It, anyway, should be a funny activity.
Remember that if you approach people with a serious face they will probably try to cut the conversation, especially if they are in a better mood than yours.
Instead go there with these two ingredients: Curiosity and fun. The rest will come!
This is the exercise for your next week. To know someone new every day.
Try it and tell us how your week changed under the different aspects of your life.
Didn’t socialize improve also other sides of it?
We are looking forward to read your answers!
See you at the next episode.